Wednesday 26 October 2016

Tone Work Diary

Evaluation
In my work I have tried to incorporate the main topic tone in each of the images. Some of the images have turned out the way that I wanted but others haven't incorporated as much of the idea of tone as I would've liked. 



This image uses natural light to show tone because the way the sun is hitting the trees only one part of the tree is lit and the other parts are in darkness. The lighting is much more softer in this image because the shadow is less harsh. I think this image is one of my better ones because it shows tone well using natural light. The angle of the camera worked well because if it was closer then the shadows of the bottom of the tree would not have been captured as well, if the angle was wider the image would've included unnecessary objects. To progress the image I could edit this image and make it black and white to show the tone more so the shadows appear darker so the lighter parts stand out.


This image uses harsh lighting to show tone because the way the light is hitting the object we are able to see the shadow behind the objects. The shadow is much more harsher because the light is very bright as it lights up the whole left side of the object. I think this is one of my better images because it produces tone well because of the lighting that I have used. The angle of the camera has worked well too because the shadow is clearer so we can see the darkened and lighter areas. If the camera was closer these parts would not be visible and if it was further aways it would be less clear. To progress this image I think I could edit it in black and white to make the shadows more darker.



At first I wasn't too sure about this image but when you look further into the image it almost tells a story. I didn't like this image because 

This image was less effective than I hoped it would've been. It doesn't really reflect tone in the way I wanted. I was trying to get the lower part darker than the top part so the lighting would decrease as you got lower. To improve this I could edit it to make the lighting decrease as you go down. Also I could've take the image at a different angle or maybe use a different set of stairs to grasp the tone effect. Next time if I was using the same topic I wouldn't of taken this image because it doesn't really represent tone at all.

Progression
To progress my images further I used Photoshop to edit the pictures to increase the tone effect.

       

To edit this image I made it black and white and then sharpened the image. I think the edited image is better than the original image because the shadows on the left side of her face is more visible and the lighter parts appear more brighter. As the image has turned black and white you would expect the image to appear duller but the black and white gives it more meaning and helps the tones appear more visible. 

       

To edit this image I made it black and white and then sharpened the picture. I think the edited version of the image is better than the original because the black and white gives it more meaning. Also, it helps the light and dark areas stand out more so the tone is more visible. The image appears better in black and white because the different shades helps the tone stand out more. 

      

To edit this image I made it black and white and then sharpened it. I think the edited version is better because the shadows appear darker and bolder. By sharpening the image it has almost made the controller appear unrealistic as if it was virtual, this corresponds to the meaning of the object as it is a game controller. The image appears better in black and white because you only focus on what the picture looks like rather than the colours in the image.

     

To edit this image I made it black and white, sharpened it and also increased the contrast. By editing the photo in this way it has made the sky stand out more but in a different way to the original picture. In the image the tone decreases as you get further into the image because the back of the image is lighter than the foreground. The sky stands out more in the edited image because it appears darker, by changing the sky it changes how we see the weather which can also link to tone.

      

To edit this image I made it black and white and sharpened it. By editing it in this way it has made the shadows of the objects stand out more therefore making the tone more visible. The original image has colours which distracts us aways from focusing in on the tone of the image, the edited image helps focus on the tone. I think making the image black and white helps the lighting become more visible so the harsh lighting can be seen better.


To progress this topic on I would use various improvement and try to use different ideas in my work. 

1 comment:

  1. A good work diary.... look for further examples that you could add to this weeks assignment as I think there are other subjects that you could have focussed on to develop your aesthetic approach to tone...

    ReplyDelete